First thing is don’t do what I did which was telling everyone they were total idiots and then I had a naughty or nice list just like Santa has. The naughty ones got torn to shreds during my notice period – this felt great. although not very professional of a Partner in one of the world’s top Advertising Agencies.
But looking back, I think I should have done things a bit smarter – especially as LinkedIn is ripe for a bit of gossip!
What can I do?
In the UK we have notice periods from 1 month and up to 6 months for Partners and above – so best to do it right in 8 easy steps:
1. Try redesigning the job
2. Chat to your line manager or someone further up you trust
3. No luck – then we are quitting for sure (but don’t tell your employer yet)
4. Go and find a brand new spanking job – but stay away from just moving a problem, this new job has to be the problem fixer
5. Put your notice in with a nice handover plan
6. Build up your network from that company – go LinkedIn crazy
7. Do your handover notes – I assume you’ll have very little work to do anyway at this stage
8. Exit well, lots of thanks and praise to all top dogs – if you hate your line manager then courteous good luck may be all that is needed